Outdoor grills go into overdrive during these hot, summer months so it’s more important than ever to make sure that you’re cooking with a clean grill. A dirty grill could not only change the taste of you what you’re making, but it could be a fire hazard as well as an attraction for bugs and rodents; none of which you want near your food! Fortunately, with not too much effort, you can keep your grill nice and clean, both inside and out.
1) Disconnect the grill from the gas line or propane tank before doing any cleaning.
2) Remove the grates and the metal plates underneath, and place everything in a bucket of hot, soapy water.
3) After a few minutes of soaking, give the grates and the plates a good scrubbing with a grill brush; dip and re-dip it in the soapy water as needed.
4) Rinse the grates with a hose and set aside.
5) Use the grill brush to scrub the inside of the hood with the hot, soapy water (the stuff that looks like peeling paint is a harmless buildup of carbon), and use steel wool for hard-to-get nooks.
6) Remove and clean the drip pan, then toss it into the soaking bucket. Let sit, then scrub with the grill brush and rinse with the hose.
7) Reassemble the grill (no need to dry anything), and reconnect the propane tank or gas line.
8) If there’s a cabinet below, sweep it out or hose it down, then wipe it out with a damp paper towel.
9) Wash the outside of the grill and any side tables with either an all-purpose cleaner, stainless cleaner or hot soapy water and wipe dry.
Doing this deep clean at least once a season will help your grill last longer and work more efficiently. In between this more intense clean, you can simply use a grill brush to clean debris and burnt food from the grill plates. And remember to always check your grease collection tray every time you grill, as a full tray can lead to a dangerous grease fire.
Better Housekeeping Shop is the place for grills this summer. With our assortment of grills at every price point and wide arrange of accessories, we have everything you need for a perfect summer of grilling! Give us a call at 732-741-4310 or stop into the store and speak to one of our sales associates.