Let’s face it, cleaning the refrigerator is never going to be a favorite task. It’s not that it’s necessarily one of the dirtier appliances in your kitchen but it’s probably the biggest, which makes tackling the cleaning of it somewhat challenging. But keeping your appliances – including the big ones – cleaned and well maintained is an important way to make sure they stay working at their peak performance for many years. So, we talked to the experts over at GE and got their tips for how to best clean a refrigerator. As one of the longest-running leaders in the appliance industry, if anyone knows their stuff, it’s GE!
They suggest giving your fridge a good deep clean at least once a year, following these relatively simple steps:
- Turn the temperature control to OFF. Consult the Owner’s Manual for instructions.
- Unplug the refrigerator.
**(Steps 1 and 2 are the hardest. If it’s too difficult to unplug the refrigerator, another option could be shutting down the specific switch on your circuit breaker. Just make sure you switch it back on again when you’re done!)
- Mix together one to two tablespoon of baking soda and one quart of water.
- Wipe down the walls of the refrigerator with this solution, then rinse it with water.
- Wipe the refrigerator dry.
Follow this same procedure to clean door gaskets, vegetable drawers, the ice storage bin, and all of the other plastic parts, glass shelves, and wire shelves.
A few tips and precautions:
- Be careful not to take glass from the refrigerator and place under hot water. The extreme temperature change may cause the glass to break.
- After cleaning the door gasket, you can apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly to the door gasket at the hinge side. This will keep the gasket pliable. Do not use bleach or cleaners other than mild detergent (ex. dish soap) on the gaskets.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners that could scratch or stain the refrigerator
- Do not place any plastic parts or glass shelves in the dishwasher. Hand wash only.
We carry a large selection of refrigerator brands, including GE. Visit the “Rebate” section on our website to see all current special offers. Or simply call our store 732-741-4310 to speak to our experts.
And remember, at Better Housekeeping Shop our goal is not simply to sell you great appliances. We want your satisfaction to last years after leaving our store. If you have any questions about your appliances, never hesitate to give us a call and speak to one of our Sales Associates or Service Technicians.