Well, we are fully in the thick of winter now. The holidays are well behind us and warm weather is still a few months away. For many people, these cold winter months are a slog. It can be hard to get up in the morning when it’s still dark out and the thought of leaving your warm bed for the frigid temperatures outside makes you want to pull the sheets back up over your head and hibernate till spring. But, fear not! We have the perfect antidote to cold mornings. This oven-baked French Toast is prepared the night before so all you have to do in the morning is pop it in the oven and wait for the delicious smell of cinnamon and sugary goodness to fill your kitchen. It’s a guaranteed way to warm up the house and bring everyone to the table.
Easy Overnight French Toast
2 sticks butter
2 cups brown sugar
4 tbsp hot water
4 tbsp maple syrup
2 large loaves Challah bread, cubed
3 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla
1) Heat together (but do not boil) butter, brown sugar, water and maple syrup. Pour into 9×13” baking dish.
2) Beat together milk, eggs, and vanilla.
3) Put bread cubes into dish and pour egg mixture over bread. Press down with a fork so the bread is covered.
4) Chill overnight.
5) The next morning, sprinkle cinnamon on top and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until cooked through.
6) Let stand for ½ hour and then sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
While we here at Better Housekeeping Shop may not be able to hurry winter along, what we can offer are the highest quality appliances – including ovens to make this recipe! – along with the best customer service around. Give us a call at 732-741-4310, or stop into our store anytime. We promise our knowledgeable and friendly sales associates will help cheer up any winter blues!